Monday, August 08, 2005

Leaplets of Faith

From an e-mail I wrote to a friend last week. I edited it a bit, but it's something I've been thinking about lately...

I think it could be easy to live a mediocre Christian existence, but I don't want to. I want to live a radical Christian existence. Now, I don't mean giving up reason, humility, wisdom, love, etc. for the sake of being radical (being radical just to be radical), but I want to be renewed in the joy of my salvation often. I want authentic passion, lordship, and love like the apostles display in Acts.

I have been feeling led to read about the kings of Israel when I get done with Acts. I think the Lord might have something to show me about how you live your life... that it does determine the depth of influence you have and the riches of intimacy you have with him still on this earth. I am becoming more convinced that the Lord wants a relationship with us and that he's not just going to take over everything in our lives. He wants our participation in our destiny, you know? Our partnership through submission.

From what little I know of the kings of Israel, I know that their actions, attitudes, and choices had a lot to do with what happened to them and to Israel in that time. So basically, I am getting convicted about "waiting around" for God to do something big in my life as opposed to me trusting the little leadings in my heart and confidently exploring some of those leadings. I just have to continuously supplicate for his guidance and his confirmation. Does that make sense? It can basically be summed up like this: "Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins." (James 4:17) Rather than being a passive Christian because "God is in control", I want to be an active participant with what He wants to do in my life and in the world, yet not becoming my own Lord.

Think about it like this: we are engaged to the Lord. Would you want a parnter who was never excited enough about what you were doing to take an interest in it? Or would you want someone who wanted to be an active participant in the things that matter most to you? Sometimes I think we miss out a lot on seeing what the Lord is up to when we don't take chances and put ourselves out on the front line like that. Don't misunderstand me here, I want God's sovereignty, but I am convinced he also wants our participation.

Getting out of the boat is a beautiful proposal. I guess I just don't want to miss walking on water because I am too comfortable in the boat.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yes